Workers’ Compensation Claim Settlements
Individuals receiving workers’ compensation benefits in Louisiana might have the option to settle their claim for a lump sum, one-time payment. This one-time payment would be in place of all future weekly allowances he or she is set to receive. While an appealing option, many factors must be considered before agreeing to settle your claim.
At DeJean & Leger, LLC, our lawyers have more than a half century of workers’ compensation experience. We are here to answer your questions and to discuss your situation. We will provide honest, candid advice on whether settling your claim is in your best interests.
Please schedule a free initial consultation by contacting our Opelousas law office online today. You may also call our firm at 337-418-9918 (toll free at 866-484-8927) to speak directly to a member of our team.
What Should You Consider?
Workers’ compensation recipients must take the time to evaluate all of their options before agreeing to a claim settlement. Accepting a settlement could have an impact on your ability to get medical treatment in the future, and the only way to know your best option is to ask a lot of questions while speaking to your doctor and a knowledgeable attorney.
Examples of issues to consider include:
- Has your insurance company offered to settle your claim? If so, you might have waited too long.
- Will accepting a settlement impact your ability to obtain other benefits, such as Social Security Disability or long-term disability benefits?
- What is your outlook for returning to work in some capacity?
- What future care do you need and how much will it cost?
- Could you receive more by going to a hearing or to trial?
- What additional benefits should be included in the settlement?
Our attorneys will take the time to understand your situation and future outlook. Our No. 1 goal is for you to feel confident in the decision you make, knowing that it is the best possible outcome and in your best interests.
Contact A St. Landry Parish Attorney For Workers’ Comp Claim Settlements
We will meet you at a convenient location if your injuries prevent you from traveling to our office.